Gun powder complicates fighting house fire

The Negaunee Fire Department works on the scene of a small fire that broke out in a home on the 800 block of Maas Street in Negaunee Thursday. Marquette County Sheriff’s Deputy Dean Rushford said the firefighters took extra precautions because the home’s owner and sole occupant, 60-year-old Stephen Gard, is a reloader of ammunition and there was an unknown amount of gunpowder on the premises. Gard was not home at the time the fire broke out. Upon arriving home and seeing smoke he was able to get his dog safely out of the house. Officials said the fire appears to have originated in the kitchen. (Journal photo by Zach Jay)