Fire damages Ishpeming home

ISHPEMING – No injuries were reported in a structure fire that broke out on New York Street in Ishpeming Wednesday.

Ishpeming Fire Chief Ed Anderson said at about noon Wednesday the Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call reporting smoke was coming from a home on the 100 block of New York Street.

After arriving at the scene, firefighters entered the house and found that a fire had broken out in a basement room. Much of the blaze was extinguished after a water pipe in the room burst, and firefighters were able to put out the rest of the fire and ventilate the home.

The basement room where the fire appeared to have broken out suffered heavy smoke and water damage, Anderson said, with some smoke damage on the house’s first and second floors as well.

The homeowner, Lonnie Hess, was not home at the time of the fire.

The house was not insured.

Anderson said the fire remains under investigation but does not appear to be suspicious.

IVFD was assisted at the scene by the Ishpeming Police Department.

The American Red Cross and Marquette County Pigs-N-Heat Fire Relief Fund are offering assistance to the victims.

Zach Jay can be reached at 906-486-4401.