Marquette County M-35 work among MDOT summer projects
MARQUETTE – Among more than 100 Michigan Department of Transportation construction projects scheduled for this summer, nine are set to get under way in the Upper Peninsula, including an M-35 project in Marquette County.
MDOT released its “Paving the Way” summer construction project map recently, with projects detailed for seven U.P. counties, including Marquette, Houghton, Dickinson, Schoolcraft, Gogebic, Menominee and Chippewa.
The M-35 project in Marquette County project involves resurfacing 21.5 miles of the roadway from the Middle Branch of the Escanaba River bridge north to the intersection with Marquette County Road 480. The road work is scheduled to take place from June through August.
Lanes will be closed during the project with flaggers stopping and moving traffic.
Printed copies of the construction project map, which detail all 123 projects statewide, will be available at all MDOT Transportation Service Centers and region offices, as well as at all Welcome Centers. Welcome Centers in the Upper Peninsula are expected to have maps available starting in late April. The map also is available for viewing at state rest areas.
“MDOT provides both printed and online versions of this map so that as many motorists as possible are prepared for Michigan’s upcoming construction season,” MDOT Director Kirk T. Steudle said in a statement. “We remind everyone to slow down and be alert when driving through any work zone. Nearly 99 percent of all people hurt or killed in work zones are drivers and their passengers. Avoid distractions, don’t tailgate and pay attention to barrels, cones, signs and workers.”
The “Paving the Way” map also provides specific maps for construction on state routes in Detroit and Grand Rapids.
In addition to the Marquette County M-35 project, the U.P. MDOT projects include:
- U.S. 2: June through August, resurface 7.9 miles from Kent Street in Iron Mountain to C Street in Norway. Lane closures and traffic shifts.
- M-26: May through October, resurface 3.1 miles and realign curves from the Portage Lake Lift Bridge to Dollar Bay. Lane closures under flag control.
- U.S. 2: June through October, reconstruct 4.1 miles from east of the Delta-Schoolcraft counties line to M-149. Traffic shift with lane closures.
- U.S. 2: August through October, resurface 5.2 miles from M-149 to the Manistique River bridge. Lane closures under flag control.
- U.S. 2: June through August, repair bridge over Manistique River. One lane open in each direction at all times.
- M-35: May through September, resurface 9.4 miles and pave shoulders from Ingallston to Jimtown Road. Lane closures under flag control and temporary traffic signal.
- U.S. 2: May through October, reconstruct 1.3 miles from Tourist Park Road to Curry Street. Eastbound U.S. 2 will be closed and detoured.
I-75: May through August, replace culvert 0.7 miles north of the Mackinac-Chippewa counties line. The interstate will be closed and detoured.
To download a PDF copy of the construction map, visit: www.michigan.gov/mdot/.
John Pepin can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 206. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.