Prep sports: Postponements multiply ADs’ headaches, varsity schedule goes by the wayside again
MARQUETTE – With every area varsity sporting event postponed for a second straight day on Tuesday, you might think area athletic directors and coordinators are taking a short breather from the constant drumbeat of events this time of year.
Their duties – and headaches – just multiply when events are postponed or canceled.
Look at what Marquette Area Public Schools athletic coordinator Jamie Tuma is dealing with.
Without even looking at junior varsity, freshmen and middle school teams, she explained what’s involved in calling off a varsity contest.
“I start by talking to the AD (athletic director),” she said Tuesday. “Sometimes it has to go through the administration and the superintendent is the one to make the call on a game.
“Then I let the coaches know, and discuss with them when we can reschedule.”
But that’s probably less than half of it. Custodians have to be informed, even for a road game if the team won’t be gathering equipment and later dropping it off.
“The custodial staff are the ones who allow us to make things work for our sporting events,” Tuma said, speaking particularly about home games.
They’re more heavily involved then, and there’s also others who have to be informed a game has been called off, including referees, scoreboard operators, ticket sellers and concessions workers. And yes, the media, at newspapers and TV and radio stations.
“It’s important to let the community know if we’re not having a game,” Tuma said.
In addition to calling off and rescheduling Tuesday’s events, a few other games and matches were affected, too.
In Gwinn, a boys game moved into February meant moving another game, too. Meanwhile, the cancellation of a four-team wrestling meet prompted those schools to schedule other meets for today.
Here is the list of postponed and rescheduled events announced on Tuesday. Except in a few cases as listed, all events were originally scheduled for Tuesday:
- Boys basketball – Marquette at Westwood, canceled (and will not be made up); Houghton at Ishpeming, rescheduled for Monday; Bark River-Harris at Munising, tonight; Republic-Michigamme at Lake Linden-Hubbell, Thursday; Baraga at L’Anse, Monday; Manistique at Gwinn, Feb. 12.
Because of the Manistique-Gwinn rescheduling, the originally scheduled Gwinn at Westwood boys game on Feb. 11 has been moved to Feb. 10.
- Girls basketball – Gladstone at Negaunee, rescheduled for Feb. 12; Menominee at Superior Central, to be determined; Westwood at Norway, TBD; Pickford at Newberry, TBD; Houghton at L’Anse (Monday game), varsity at 1:15 p.m. Saturday.
- Hockey – Kingsford at Marquette, rescheduled for 7 p.m. today; Negaunee at Escanaba, Feb. 11.
- Wrestling – Marquette quadrangular with Negaunee, Ishpeming and Escanaba, canceled.
In its place, Marquette will join the Escanaba at Gladstone meet and make it a triple dual at 6:30 p.m. today. And Negaunee will host Ishpeming and Munising in their own triple dual at 6 p.m. today.
- Swimming – Negaunee-Ishpeming at Houghton, rescheduling to be determined; Westwood at Manistique, TBD.
- Downhill skiing – Marquette at Ironwood Invitational, canceled.