Prep sports: Wind chills cancel, postpone Monday, Tuesday events
MARQUETTE – Days off from school due to the weather has again forced a number of postponements of high school sports contests.
No high school basketball games were held in the area Monday night, with only one known game played in the Upper Peninsula where the Dollar Bay girls won at Jeffers, 37-27.
In addition, with an early call-off made by a number of school districts for today, several postponements of tonight’s games are already known.
Here are Monday’s postponed games involving area schools where makeup dates are already known. Weekday games should be played at their original time:
- Boys basketball – Westwood at Gwinn, varsity game rescheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 1.
- Girls basketball – Baraga at Chassell, rescheduled for Wednesday; Escanaba at Marquette, 5 p.m. Saturday for varsity; Gwinn at Manistique, 2:30 p.m. Saturday for varsity; Houghton at L’Anse, Saturday, no time given; Ishpeming at Iron Mountain, Monday; Republic-Michigamme at Mid Peninsula, Wednesday, Feb. 5.
These are today’s games involving area schools that were announced as postponed on Monday:
- Boys basketball – Manistique at Gwinn, no date given
- Girls basketball – Menominee at Superior Central, no date given
- Hockey – Kingsford at Marquette, no date given
- Girls swimming – Westwood at Manistique, no date given
- Downhill skiing – Marquette at Ironwood Invitational, canceled, will not be rescheduled