Prep soccer: Marquette gains split in Wisconsin

MARQUETTE – After seeing their 12-game unbeaten streak snapped, the Marquette Senior High School soccer Redmen rebounded in a big way Saturday.

Coach Matt Tebo’s squad lost to Ashland (Wis.) 4-0 in Eagle River (Wis.), but came back to mercy Iron Mountain, 10-0, later in the day.

In the opener, MSHS goalkeeper Tony Lackey made two saves while the Redmen put four shots on the Ashland goal.

“We gave up a goal with 70 seconds left in the first half and that deflated us,” Tebo said. “Then, (Ashand) got a goal early in the second half and that got our spirits down.

“We talked to the kids afterward and said we needed a big response from them (against IM). They responded well.”

Against the Mountaineers, in a game the Redmen led 8-0 at intermission and was stopped in the 19th minute of the second half, Max Bednarek led the Marquette offense with two goals. Tanner Carriere added two markers.

Posting single tallies were Chris Amundsen, Hunter Shaneberger, Lehomm Pickard, Jimmy St. Cyr and Joe Weber.

Collecting assists for MSHS (14-5-1) were Amundsen, Bednarek, Carriere, Pickard, Andrew Banitt, Preston Marchant. Mike Mlsna, Mike Wiitala. Peter Amundsen and Ben Cole.

Lackey got the shutout in goal, making one save.

Marquette 3,

Lakeland, Wis., Union 1

At Minocqua, Wis., Friday night, the Redmen broke a 1-1 halftime tie with goals by Banitt and Pickard about 17 minutes apart in the second half.

Marquette opened the scoring near the midpoint of the first half when Banitt, standing 25 yards from the goal, took a pass from Chris Amundsen and immediately turned and shot. The ball ricocheted off the crossbar, then the Lakeland netminder’s back, and in.

LU tied it five minutes before halftime on a penalty kick that eluded Marquette goalie Lackey.

Banitt scored his second-half goal off a free kick from Craig Ekstrum, while Pickard picked off a goalie save of a shot by Amundsen.

The Redmen put 14 shots on goal; Lackey made eight saves.