Prep boys soccer: Marquette has pitch perfect day in 5-0 victory over Iron Mountain

MARQUETTE – Marquette Senior High School’s boys soccer team turned in a dominating performance just in time for their coach, Matt Tebo.

That’s because the Redmen have four games to play on the road today and Saturday.

On Thursday, MSHS shut down Iron Mountain, 5-0, in a game where their goalie, senior Tony Lackey, got no real work.

He didn’t face a shot on goal as the Mountaineers managed just two first-half shots and none in the second half.

At the other end of the field, the Redmen peppered IM with 29 shots, including 18 on goal. Part of that came from Marquette receiving nine corner kicks.

“We won the game just by the way (our players) used each other,” Tebo said. “We worked on keeping possession and making good decisions when we passed the ball, instead of just getting rid of it to the next player.”

A trio of Redmen each had a hand in two goals – junior Andrew Banitt scored twice, sophomore Lehomm Pickard had a goal and an assist and sophomore Preston Marchant added two assists.

Tebo also praised his defensive corps that included seniors Craig Ekstrum and Chris Amundsen, juniors Mike Mlsna and Mike Wiitala, sophomore Ben Cole and freshman Collin Shinners.

Marquette (3-4), which was shut out three times last weekend by downstate Class A schools in Petoskey, travels for a 5 p.m. game today in Sault Ste. Marie before going to the Harbor Springs Tournament for three more games Saturday.

The Redmen face Big Rapids at 10:15 a.m., host Harbor Springs at 11:30 a.m. and then plays for either fifth place, third place or the championship at 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m. or 4 p.m., respectively.

MSHS returns home for a 6 p.m. Tuesday game against Kingsford.

On Thursday, senior Jimmy St. Cyr opened the scoring near the midpoint of the first half, taking a pass from sophomore Joe Weber that slipped past several IM defenders across the front of the goalmouth for St. Cyr’s quick shot.

Banitt made it 2-0 just before halftime on a left-footed redirection that came off a left-footed pass from Marchant.

MSHS added three more goals in the first 20 minutes after intermission. Pickard took a quick shot following an end-line pass from sophomore Tanner Carriere, then Banitt knocked a ball in off a crossing pass from Pickard, finished off by junior Jonathon Beckman’s rebound that followed up an initial long shot by Marchant.