1 injured in Ishpeming apartment fire Friday

ISHPEMING – The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department responded to a structure fire Friday afternoon.

At about 2:17 p.m., a fire in a building containing two apartments on the 500 block of Bank Street in Ishpeming was reported. According to a press release, upon arrival there was moderate smoke showing throughout the first floor apartment. All the occupants were out of the house when the fire department arrived.

According to a press release, a burner was left on the stove with a pan that had some oil in it. Combustible material near by apparently melted, caught fire and fell onto the pan with cooking oil, which then ignited the stove’s hood and nearby items.

According to the fire department, the fire was contained to the stove and stove top area of the kitchen. The entire apartment building suffered some smoke damage. A first floor resident was treated by Bell Memorial EMS on the scene for minor smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

Assisting at the scene was the Ishpeming Police Department. Pigs and Heat and the American Red Cross will be assisting the occupants.

Adelle Whitefoot can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 243. Her email address is awhitefoot@miningjournal.net.