Prep soccer: Marquette scores 4-0 shutout on Kingsford’s pitch

KINGSFORD – The Marquette Senior High school soccer team and Casey Durand settled things with rival Kingsford over an eight-minute span to start the second half Tuesday.

Durand supplied two second-half goals and the Redettes smothered the Flivvers 4-0 at Commemorative Field in Kingsford.

“We had a little talk at halftime and asked them start winning some of the 50-50 balls,” Marquette Coach Dan LeBert said. “They came out right away and did that.

“We scored a couple quick goals and that changed the complexion of the game.”

A Carleigh Hillier goal, with the first of two Durand assists, gave the Redettes a 1-0 lead with just five minutes played in the first half. That margin held up until Marquette launched the second half with three goals in eight minutes.

“It wasn’t by any means a good game for us,” said coach Todd Formolo, his Flivvers coming off an overtime victory Monday against Three Lakes, Wis. “After playing last night for 100 minutes, they played hard and that’s what I asked of them.

“We were disorganized and out of sync (to start the second half),” Formolo said. “They played good, organized, controlled ball.”

Durand, with the assist from Madison Rieboldt, scored 50 seconds into the second half. Makaela Burse, who was denied two right-on attempts in the first half, broke through with nearly five minutes missing in the second half.

Durand, with the aid of Gabrielle Gencheff, closed out the scoring burst.

“I was real pleased,” LeBert said. “I thought we got a little sluggish at the end of the first half which gave me a little concern because we weren’t finishing on the offensive end.

“When we did get a little sluggish, they started getting their opportunities.”

The Flivvers, with a sporadic offensive showing in the first half and little in the second, failed to dent Marquette freshman goalie Molly Gaudreau.

“The defense was consistent and Molly made some real nice saves,” LeBert said. “Games kind of ebb and flow. If she doesn’t make those saves, they get energy. We got the energy instead.”

Marquette also executed a direct kick for the first goal. With three players either faking or kicking, Hillier nailed the first one through.

“We’ve been working on that,” said LeBert, crediting assistant coach Cody Smith with bringing the play from Alpena. “He’s been working with the girls on that.”

Marquette (5-1) travels to Rhinelander, Wis., for matches Friday and Saturday.