Scouts participate in events
MARQUETTE – Cub Scout Pack 395 recently held its Blue and Gold Dinner at Sandy Knoll Elementary School to celebrate Boy Scouting’s 103rd birthday and recognize participation in recent events.
Included in events was the Cardboard Classic sled race held in early February at Marquette Mountain, with 56 sleds and 175 participants from the central Upper Peninsula.
The following pack members were recognized for placing in their categories:
- Tiger Cubs: fastest sleds – Wyatt Lakenen and Lucas Basal in first place, Matthew Scovronski in third place and John Christiansen, Andy Brunswick and Nolan Thurston in fourth Place
- Best design – Matthew Scovronski in first place, Eli Koetja in second place and John Christiansen, Andy Brunswick and Nolan Thurston in fourth place.
- Wolves: Fourth place in speed and in design – Eli LaJoice, Charles Henry and Parker Burt.
- Bears: Drew Lakenen was second place in speed and third place in design and Maxwell Koetja was third place in design.
- Special category: most dramatic wipe-out, Eli Koetja.
The Pere Marquette sub-district Cub Scout winter games were held in late February at Aspen Ridge Elementary School and were hosted by Cub Scout Pack 321 under the leadership of Darryl Mattson. There were 60 participants in 8 events. Pack 395’s composite den, the Explorer Bees, of John Christiansen, Matthew Scovronski, Nolan Thurston, Parker Burt, Nicholaus Olivier and Gage Zorza, placed in the following events: the Star Wars Death Starship Launch, first place; Inca Empire Bola Ball, first place; Prehistoric Egg Rolling, second place; and Roman Empire Chariot Race, third Place.
Scoutmaster Al Feldhauser of Troop 309 was a guest at the event and recalled his days as a Cub Scout at Sandy Knoll School.
Maxwell and Eli Koetja were recognized with hiking awards for backpacking 65 miles last summer on a family trek.
Nicholaus Olivier and Michael Kopsi were awarded their Bobcat badges. Den Leader Mitch Koetja recognized the following for advancing to the Bear Rank: Alex Gooch, Koda Haataja, Maxwell Koetja, Andrew Lakenen, Nicholas Lindberg, Brighton Murray, NIcholaus Olivier, Zachary Stanley, Justin Tudor, and Gage Zorza.
The pack’s next event is the Pinewood Derby next Saturday. For more information about Pack 395, contact Dewey Jones at 361-9651.