Indoor pyrotechnics present excessive risk to be allowed

In recent days, an anniversary was observed in Rhode Island of a type and nature most people would just as soon forget.

It was a decade ago that 100 people died in a fire in a West Warwick night club. A subsequent fire marshal investigation determined that a pyrotechnics demonstration used by the performing rock band caused the killer blaze.

The people in Santa Maria, Brazil understand only too well. In late January, when another rock act’s pyrotechnics caused a fire in a nightclub there, 235 people died.

And the list of deadly nightclub fires caused by indoor fireworks goes on: In Russia in 2009, 112 killed; in Thailand in 2008, 61 dead; in Argentina in 2004, 174 killed.

It’s time state legislatures, including the one here in Michigan, seriously consider banning outright the use of pyrotechnics indoors.

Tragically, it has been demonstrated that when fires do happen, scores of lives are lost.

At the end of the day, it just isn’t worth it.