Clisch nets overtime game-winner for Negaunee hockey team against L’Anse

L’ANSE – Senior forward Nate Clisch made the last of a series of passes count for a goal 4:03 into overtime to lift Negaunee to a 4-3 victory at L’Anse on Thursday night.

The Miners (4-16), who have won two of three against the Purple Hornets this season, took the lead three times in regulation before L’Anse came back to tie the score each time.

But the Hornets didn’t get the chance to tie it in extra time after an NHS defenseman passed the puck to sophomore Chad Larson, who passed it on in the high slot to sophomore Ryan Syrjala, who finally got the puck to Clisch as he was rushing in on Hornets’ goalie Jason Rank.

“We did a good job of keeping the shots on the perimeter and cleaning up the garbage (rebounds),” Negaunee coach Eric Hill said.

Miner goalies Anthony Moyle and Tyler Riutta combined to make 47 saves, Moyle working the first two periods and getting 38 of them before he was forced from the game due to an injury. Rank had 29 saves for L’Anse, including four in OT before the game winner.

Clisch and teammates Alex Ledford and Ryan Bischof each had a goal and an assist, while teammate Cody Wetton had two assists.

For L’Anse, Cody Goldsworthy scored twice and teammate Brett Hebert had the other goal along with an assist.

Ledford opened the scoring 6:21 in before Goldsworthy needed just two seconds to tie it 1-1. Bischof made it 2-1 about four minutes after that, only to have Hebert tie it in the middle of the second period.

Larson put his team up 3-2 with six minutes to go in the second before Goldsworthy forged the game’s third tie with 13 seconds left in that period.

“We could’ve went one of two ways after that late (second period) goal, get deflated or respond to it,” Hill said. “We responded to it to our guys’ credit.”

Farmington 5, Marquette 3

At Chelsea in the Public School Showcase, Marquette scored the game’s first goal, but Farmington netted five of the next six.

Junior forward McKinley Larson got the Redmen on the board 5:50 into the game with an unassisted goal before Nick Heffron and Marc Nahat scored 21 seconds apart later in the period to give the Falcons the lead.

Junior forward Alex Zerbel pulled the Redmen within 3-2 with a power-play tally about five minutes into the second period, but Ranken and Nahat each netted their second goals in the middle of the third to put the game out of reach.

Senior Forest Folker scored Marquette’s final goal with 1:29 left after coach Mike L’Huillier pulled goalie Evan Kyle in favor of an extra attacker.

Kyle made 18 saves while Farmington netminder John Lethemon was called on to stop 37 Redmen shots.

“They’ve got one big line that scored all their goals, but give our kids credit, we outshot them and outhit them,” L’Huillier said. “We’re just having a hard time putting the puck in the net right now.”

Marquette (4-13) travels to the Detroit suburb of Trenton today to face Saginaw Heritage at 2:40 p.m. in the Michigan Interscholastic Hockey League Showcase. The Redmen finish at the MIHL Showcase when they play Grosse Pointe South at 10:50 a.m. Saturday.